Friday, July 14, 2006

Controlling pot size based on position by ORAG


I've been running well lately and one change I made is to adjust my opening raise size based on my position in NLHE. Here is what I've been doing for a 10 handed game, then I'll discuss my reasoning.

Position 1-3: Raise to 3xBB
Position 4-6: Raise to 3.5xBB
Button, Cuttoff: Raise to 4xBB
Small Blinds: Raise to 3xBB
Big Blinds: Raise to 4xBB

That is the case if I am the first in the pot (big blind example only SB and he limped). For each limper I generally add 1/2 BB to the raise and adjust what I raise from the BB down.

Now to the important part, why? Some would argue that a small raise in early position is just inviting multiple callers to get in cheap. From what I have noticed, in a deep stack NL game the actual size of the raise is doing little to change the number of callers, I'm talking raises in the 3-6xBB range. Also, I usually want some callers because I'm probably taking the hand down anyway after the flop.

What this does is it allows me to play smaller pots when I'm out of position and larger pots when I have position. I think any experienced NL player understands how important position is. Although I may love to play a large pot w/AA in early, do I really want to play a large pot w/AQ or 99?

In addition to playing for more money when I have a positional advantage, this also allows me to open up my raising requirements slightly in early position. Hands such as AQ and 99 I could be coming in with a raise and if I need to toss it I'm committing less chips. I've found I win a lot more money raising with these types of hands then just calling, as most of the time my opponent will be me on a better hand and will miss the flop. By raising I do not need to hit the flop, they do.

Now, if you're raise isn't narrowing the field to 1-3 callers most of the time, then some adjustments may be needed. In 10,000 hands recently though I've found little need to change this. It probably would not be the case for a low buy in live game.

Remember, it's all about position in NL and if you can have others commit more to the pot when you have that advantage you'll see some nice returns.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home